- Winnipeg meets the average for hectares of parkland per population for cities over 500,000 with 4.2 hectares per thousand people.
- Winnipeg is one of 50% of cities with a community park group program.
- Winnipeg is one of 72% of cities that has a climate change action plan that includes parks.
- Winnipeg is developing a new parks and recreation strategy, set to be complete in Summer 2021, as well as a new urban forest strategy.
- Winnipeggers enjoyed 30 new trails in parks for skiing, walking, and fat-biking this winter, led by the Winnipeg Trails Association and funded by the City's new COVID-inspired Wellness Grant for community groups.
- Through a partnership with the Canadian Beverage Container Recycling Association, six new city parks were outfitted with recycling bins in 2020 as part of an effort to reduce waste.
ha parkland per 1000 people
3,201 ha of total parkland
of total parkland is natural area
1,161 total ha
of parkland is environmentally significant/protected
1,161 total ha
of total city land is parkland
47,570 ha of total city area
Community gardens/urban farms
volunteers / 1000 people
Policy to waive permit fees for groups with financial need.
Parks operating budget per person
Total parks capital budget
Provincially legislated tools available for parkland dedication, acquisition and/or development
Winnipeg parkland dedication is governed by city policy, which requires developers to provide cash-in-lieu of providing open space dedication with 75% of the funds used in the immediate community and 25% of the funds used across the city.
²Increase from last year related to inclusion of Assiniboine Park in 2021 data—a large park in the city under long-term operating lease.
³Winnipeg protects natural areas in parks through the Ecologically Significant Natural Lands Strategy. However, the policy uses a broader definition of sensitive lands that encompasses any natural area within the park system.
⁴Change from 2020 due to improved accuracy in data reporting.
⁵Change from 2020 related to improved accuracy in data reporting.
⁶Does not include carryover from previous years.