- Waterloo is above average for percentage of parkland that is natural area at 56%.
- Waterloo has an above average percentage of parkland protected as environmentally significant at 43%.
- Waterloo is one of 50% of cities with a community park group program.
- As a way to support local artists, Waterloo commissioned 24 original artworks to display along the Waterloo Park Promenade in 2021.
- Waterloo’s Trail Mix program brought the sound of local musicians to trails in the city by placing scannable QR codes so people could listen on their phones as they hiked.
- The city’s Neighbourhood Group has developed offerings such as matching grants to provide funding for resident-led initiatives, and a Block Connectors program to provide resources to residents to lead community gathering initiatives and strengthen neighbourhood ties.
ha parkland per 1000 people
946 ha of total parkland
of total parkland is natural area
530 total ha
of parkland is environmentally significant/protected
405 total ha
of total city land is parkland
6400 ha of total city area
Community gardens/urban farms
Parkland provision goal (distance to park / ha per 1000 people)
Neighbourhood parks: 1ha / 1000 people General parkland: 5 ha / 1000 people
volunteers / 1000 people
community park groups
Policy to waive permit fees for groups with financial need.
Parks operating budget per person
Total parks capital budget
Provincially legislated tools available for parkland dedication, acquisition and/or development
Municipalities are able to require up to 5% of the land area of a residential development for parkland or, through an alternate rate bylaw, one hectare in land per 300 units or the equivalent in cash-in-lieu of one hectare per 500 units. Municipalities are also able to require 2% of commercial or non-residential development for parkland or the equivalent in cash-in-lieu. Municipalities may also fund eligible parks improvements through Development Charges and may choose to collect funding for parkland through a Community Benefits Charge, but overlap between these tools must be avoided.
¹Decrease from last year due to COVID-19.