- Victoria has the third highest number of community gardens relative to population size—nearly twice the average.
- Victoria is one of 56% of cities with a park system master plan updated within the last 10 years.
- Victoria is just above the average for parkland that is protected as environmentally sensitive areas at 36%.
- Victoria acquired 1,178 square meters of land in a residential neighborhood, protecting a sensitive Garry oak ecosystem, and creating a new park.
- Victoria was awarded Tree Cities of the World recognition and increased tree planting by 40% in 2020, adding 500 new trees in parks and on boulevards.
- In response to COVID-19, Victoria launched the online Fun For Life GO platform to provide outdoor fitness and recreation activities for people of all ages to do from home.
ha parkland per 1000 people
254 ha of total parkland
of total parkland is natural area
91 total ha
of parkland is environmentally significant/protected
91 total ha
of total city land is parkland
1947 ha of total city area
Community gardens/urban farms
Parkland provision goal (distance to park / ha per 1000 people)
volunteers / 1000 people
community park groups
Policy to waive permit fees for groups with financial need.
Parks operating budget per person
Total parks capital budget
Provincially legislated tools available for parkland dedication, acquisition and/or development
5% of the land area of subdivision type development or cash-in-lieu. Municipalities may also fund parkland through Development Cost Charges.
¹2019 estimate ²There are an additional 4 gardens not on city lands.