- Fredericton had the highest number of volunteers relative to population at nearly 11 volunteers per thousand people.
- Fredericton sits above the average amount of parkland per population with 12.6 hectares of parkland per thousand people.
- Fredericton is one of 72% of cities that has a climate change action plan that includes parks.
- Management plans for Odell Park and Killarney Lake Park were finalized in 2020, both of which focus on improving access and equity, as well as partnering with ecologists to restore significant habitats and improving wayfinding and education.
- In summer 2020, the city piloted Nature Day Camps in Killarney Lake Park and Odell Park, which taught youth about tree identification, park history, and more. The two one-week pilots were so successful that they added a third.
- The Artist in Residence program will be returning for the third year in 2021. The program allows artists to implement creative installations in Odell Park or Fredericton Botanic Garden. One of last year’s artists, Sasha French, created the “Lost and Found Art” project where art was hidden amidst the trees for visitors to find.
ha parkland per 1000 people
809 ha of total parkland
of total parkland is natural area
211 total ha
of total city land is parkland
13,410 ha of total city area
Community gardens/urban farms
volunteers / 1000 people
community park groups
Policy to waive permit fees for groups with financial need.
Parks operating budget per person
Total parks capital budget
Provincially legislated tools available for parkland dedication, acquisition and/or development
8% of the development site or cash-in-lieu
¹Budget increases due to the completion of six park plans in 2020. A number of projects related to those plans are budgeted for implemention this year.