- North Vancouver is above average for percentage of parkland that is natural area at 53%.
- North Vancouver is one of 50% of cities that have a policy to waive permit fees for groups that show financial need.
- North Vancouver has the highest number of community gardens relative to population size--more than twice the average.
- North Vancouver passed a bylaw in October 2020 to allow alcohol consumption in designated parks during the pandemic, which received “overwhelming support from both residents and businesses.”
- North Vancouver continued public engagement on all park projects in 2020, using creative methods such as posting information boards in parklets and installing a tent outside of city hall where people could speak directly with park planners.
- North Vancouver added seating, including picnic tables and benches, to parks to support increased demand for social uses of parks during the pandemic.
ha parkland per 1000 people
169 ha of total parkland
of total parkland is natural area
90 total ha
of parkland is environmentally significant/protected
91 total ha
of total city land is parkland
1183 ha of total city area
Community gardens/urban farms
3 ha / 1,000 people
Parkland provision goal (distance to park / ha per 1000 people)
volunteers / 1000 people
community park groups
Policy to waive permit fees for groups with financial need.
Parks operating budget per person
Total parks capital budget
Provincially legislated tools available for parkland dedication, acquisition and/or development
5% of the land area of subdivision type development or cash-in-lieu. Municipalities may also fund parkland through Development Cost Charges.
¹ Includes Park Steward program only. ² Includes costs for street tree maintenance.