- At 110 groups, Vancouver reported the most park groups and has the second highest rate of volunteers at about 22 per 1,000 people.
- Vancouver is one of 19% of cities with a standalone biodiversity strategy, one of two cities with a bird strategy, and one of 63% with a citywide park system master plan updated within the last 10 years.
- At 2 hectares of parkland per 1,000 people, Vancouver sits in line with other dense cities such as Montreal and Toronto.
- In 2019, Vancouver released the final report comprising VanPlay—the city’s park master plan that lays out a 25-year vision for parks that prioritizes equity, asset needs, and connectivity.
- The city is investing $4.5 million in upgrading 7 playgrounds, with a focus on risky play and social spaces for all ages.
- Vancouver has started construction on a new $13.8 million downtown park with an elevated walkway and cafe.
ha parkland per 1000 people
1262 ha total parkland
of total parkland is natural area
482 total ha
of total city land is parkland
11497 ha of total city area
Community gardens/urban farms
Parkland provision goal (ha per 1000 people)¹
Parks operating budget per person
Total parks capital budget
¹This is a citywide target. How this applies to neighbhourhoods and communities is determined using the Parks Asset Target in VanPlay. ²Increase from 2019 due to improvements in data reporting.
Park Master Plans
related Vancouver stories
Don't See your City on the List?
Twenty-seven cities participated in this year's report and we hope more will join us next year.Learn how to participate in 2021