- At 67%, Richmond Hill has a higher than average ratio of parkland that is natural area.
- Richmond Hill is one of 56% of cities with a community park group program.
- With nearly 11 volunteers per 1,000 people, Richmond Hill is above the median of 8.
- A new youth area in Lake Wilcox Park opened in summer 2019, providing a safe and lively gathering place for youth aged 13-19 including a skatepark, beach volleyball courts, fitness equipment and wifi.
- Council approved the preparation of an Urban Open Space Master Plan to be initiated in late 2020 that will identify opportunities to improve green space connectivity.
- The redeveloped Bradstock Park incorporates a unique kaleidoscope-themed design, with interactive and artful play features.
ha parkland per 1000 people
1044 ha total parkland¹
of total parkland is natural area
703 total ha
of parkland is environmentally significant/protected
64 total ha
of total city land is parkland
10100 ha of total city area
Community gardens/urban farms
Parkland provision goal (ha per 1000 people)
Parks operating budget per person
Total parks capital budget
Provincially legislated tools available for parkland development
Community Benefits Charge³
¹This total does not include an additional 935 hectares of natural parkland owned by the Conservation Authority and the Province. ²Excludes salaries/wages. ³This tool was introduced in 2019 and is still under review. Previous Provincial legislation allowed 5% of development site or cash-in-lieu.
Related Richmond Hill Stories
Don't See your City on the List?
Twenty-seven cities participated in this year's report and we hope more will join us next year.Learn how to participate in 2021